Terms and Conditions
PLEASE NOTE: All driving instructors are self-employed and operate under a franchise agreement with Relax Driving School.
For the avoidance of doubt, this agreement & all financial transactions are between yourself (the “Pupil”) and your Driving Instructor (“the ADI)”. Please email us at email@example.com should you require a printed version, or require any further information.
Terms & Conditions of Tuition:
1.Cancelling and confirming lessons via the Total Drive app:
1a) If you are UNAVAILABLE, you must CANCEL your booking no later than 48 hours prior to lesson start time, or lesson is still chargeable.
1b) If you are AVAILABLE, You must ‘CHECK-IN’ via the app 24 hours prior to lesson, and no later than 8pm the evening before your lesson.
1c) If you have failed to check-in by 8pm, the lesson will automatically be cancelled and offered to other pupils. In this event, your instructor reserves the
right to: A] charge you, in full, for the lesson and/or B] remove your future bookings.
1d) If your instructor arrives at the pick-up point and you are not available for the lesson, then a full charge will be made. We may also terminate your lessons.
2. We only offer 2-hour lessons. It is at your instructor’s own discretion as to whether they will provide any shorter lesson duration. Where the pupil requests a 1 hour or 1.5-hour lesson, these will incur an additional charge. Lesson Prices are subject to change from time to time & a fuel supplement may also be charged
3. Payments are to be made by Online Bank Transfer the day PRIOR to your lesson as the preferred payment method. Some Instructors offer the option to pay via card in the car at the start of each lesson. If cash payment is unavoidable, then payment is to be made at the start of the lesson but only with your Instructors agreement beforehand. No change is given – any over payment will be credited against a future lesson. Cheques not accepted and no lessons given in credit.
3a. In the event of numerous cancellations/late cancellations, the instructor may ask for any further lessons to be paid for in advance
4. Money Back Guarantee: Any refunds (Subject to #5 and #6 below) will be made by your driving instructor direct to your chosen Bank account. All refunds from block bookings will be recalculated so any used lessons are charged at full standard hourly rates. You will be refunded the balance, less £4.95 administration fee.
5. Relax Driving School or 1st 4 Driving Ltd are not responsible for any payments that you have made directly to your instructor. No claim against Relax Driving School or 1st 4 Driving Ltd will be entertained and no discussion entered into. Relax Driving School & 1st 4 Driving Ltd acts purely as an agent on behalf of the allocated driving instructor to manage & book driving lessons. All our Driving Instructors that we manage are self-employed and are therefore responsible for delivering your lessons and refunding any owed money.
5a. If, when making your original booking, you paid your fees to Relax Driving School, once you have completed your first driving lesson, your payment is then transferred to your allocated driving instructor. Your Driving Instructor is now solely responsible for any balance remaining. Neither Relax Driving School nor 1st 4 Driving Ltd are responsible for any financial matters once your first lesson as been completed.
6. No refunds can be claimed (lesson or test fees) after a period of 2 calendar months since your last lesson, unless otherwise previously agreed with your Instructor. All refunds made will incur an admin fee of £4.95
7. The driving school allows 15 minutes waiting time for your instructor, due to unforeseen delays such as traffic, late tests etc, so your patience is appreciated. In the event of your instructor running late, they will endeavour to contact you by phone/text to advise you of this or to rearrange the lesson. In the event of the pupil running late/not at pick-up point, your instructor will wait a maximum of 10 minutes before leaving and you will be charged for this lesson.
8. Due to operational reasons, it may, from time to time, be necessary to rearrange your lesson appointments, either on a temporary or permanent basis.
9. If you book a driving test without the prior knowledge and agreement of your instructor, we reserve the right to charge you the higher rate as shown on our website under ‘test booked/previously failed’.
10. We reserve the right to refuse the use of our cars for your test, if your instructor deems you not to be to the required standard. In this event, you will need to change the test date OR obtain use of a private car for the purpose of the test. No refunds will be given if you choose to use a different vehicle. You MUST be able to drive independently and without any assistance in order to take the Driving Test.
10a)Neither Relax Driving School, 1st 4 Driving Ltd or your instructor is responsible for any tests postponed or cancelled by the DVSA.
11. In the event of a breakdown/fault with the vehicle in which you have been learning to drive, or for any other reason, we reserve the right to rearrange your lesson to a time convenient for both you and your instructor, subject to availability. If vehicle breakdown results in you not being ready/able to attend the Driving Test, we are not responsible for loss of the test fee.
12. In the event of you missing 3 or more consecutive lessons, Relax Driving School and your instructor reserve the right to suspend or terminate your lessons without refund. If your Instructor cancels 3 or more consecutive lessons with less than 24 hours’ notice, you may claim a refund of all outstanding monies and cease lessons OR claim a free 2-hour lesson. In this event, no refund admin fee will be charged.
13. We reserve the right to refuse or terminate a lesson and/or any further lessons should you appear to be under the influence (or suspicion of) alcohol, drugs or any other substance that would contravene road safety or the law. For the avoidance of doubt, this would include excess tiredness and illness or if the instructor feels that you are not driving/behaving in an appropriate manner.
14. If your instructor cancels your lesson under the suspicion that you have taken drugs, have been drinking, or otherwise unfit to drive, you will still be charged for the lesson or time that was booked. The instructor may also choose to stop providing you with Driving Lessons.
15. As the Pupil is the driver, you are solely responsible for any motoring offences committed whilst you are in the drivers’ seat & therefore in control of the vehicle. Your instructor’s liability will only extend in so far as doing anything reasonably possible to prevent any offence from being committed by you.
15a)Whilst the vehicle is on Test, you are responsible for driving in a safe & legal manner. In the event of any damage to the vehicle whilst on test and in your sole control, you may be liable for damage costs and/or Insurance excess being charged to you. Neither your instructor nor DVSA examiners are responsible for any offence/accident whilst you are in charge of the vehicle.
16. Once you pass your driving test, your driving instructor may ask you if they can take a picture of you, with the Driving School name in front of our car. We may use this picture on our website & in any future advertising. Once permission is given by allowing the taking of the picture, it becomes the property of Relax Driving School.
17. We have no control over the availability of Theory and Practical Tests provided by the DVSA nor are we responsible for any changes made by the DVSA.
18. If requested, all Pupils MUST wear a face covering and use the sanitizer provided. Your instructor may also take your temperature using a non-contact method. The lesson may not go ahead if the instructor feels that you are showing possible symptoms of COVID-19/cold/flu or provide an abnormal body temperature.
18a) Your lesson may be terminated if your driving falls well below your usual expected standard, and it is at the sole discretion of the instructor as to whether they charge the full lesson rate or part thereof.
19. By accepting these Terms & Conditions you agree to us adding you to our Theory Training portal which is accessed from the Total Drive App (You may opt out of the Theory portal at any time).
20. You must use the Total Drive app and allow notifications. Your instructor and/or Relax Driving School may send important messages regarding your driving lessons via the app, eg; to notify you of earlier test availability, spare lessons, amendments to lesson start times, rescheduled lessons etc. We are not responsible if you fail to check messages/notification on the Total Drive app, and miss a lesson, test etc thereafter.
21. From time to time, your instructor may be observed whilst conducting your lesson, either by a DVSA representative or the owner of Relax Driving School. In this event, your lesson will continue as normal. The observer is monitoring our Instructor to ensure that they maintain the highest standards expected by the Driving School and also the DVSA. They will neither comment on your driving, nor take part in your lesson.
Terms & Conditions for Pupils who have booked the Driving Test Rescue Course, or those who already have a Driving Test booked, which are in addition to those shown above.
22. Before your instructor commits to your test date, you will be required to undertake an Assessment Drive with them which is conducted in the style of a Driving Test.
23. It is at your instructor’s sole discretion as to whether or not they feel you are ready to sit the practical test, regardless of past instructors’ comments or if there have been previous tests undertaken. Relax Driving School nor 1st 4 Driving Ltd cannot, in any event, override your instructor’s decision.
24. Your instructor may require you to take further lessons to get you to Test Standard and/or recommend changing your Test date in order to give you sufficient time to get you to the DVSA Test Standard. If this requirement is ignored, we will not present you for your Driving Test.
25. We cannot guarantee availability of lessons, however, your instructor will do their best to meet your needs, but you will need a flexible approach to your availability.
26. Your instructor has the right to refuse further lessons and/or test if, in their opinion, your driving falls well below the required DVSA Test Standard
27. You must provide (either printed or via email) evidence of the Driving Test Booking as supplied by the DVSA. Should you thereafter change your Test Date without Authorisation from your Instructor then we are not liable for loss of test/car hire fees should your instructor be unavailable.
28. We are not responsible should you be unable to pass the test prior to any key dates eg: Holidays, Employment Requirements, Theory Test Expiry etc
Frequently Asked Questions
Q – How long will it take me to learn to drive?
This depends very much on yourself! There are a lot of factors which will affect the speed at which you learn to drive such as Confidence, number of lessons each week, frequency of lessons, your alertness. Late nights, excess tiredness, illness, lack of enthusiasm, lack of theory learning will all extend the amount of time it takes you to learn.
Q – How many hours will I need?
As above, there are many factors which affect learning. The DVSA state that the average learner will need around 40 hours of professional tuition along with 22 hours of private practice. This is based on 1x 1-hour lesson per week. This is greatly reduced by taking 2-hour lessons.
Q – What car will I take my test in?
Most pupils simply take the test in their instructors’ car. You may, subject to having a suitable vehicle, take the test in your own/family members vehicle. The vehicle must meet certain conditions laid out in Law and by the DVSA
Q – How long does the Theory Certificate last? Can It be extended due to COVID?
It lasts for 2 years from the date you passed it. If you do not pass your practical test on or before the 2 years have expired, you will need to sit the Theory Test again. You cannot extend the Theory Certificate for any reason (including COVID) The law states that you must sit the Practical (Driving) test within 2 years of passing the Theory Test.
Q – Does the Driving Test fee include the car Hire for the test?
No. The test fee is set by the DVSA and does not cover the use of the car. The cost of Car Hire for the purpose of the driving test will be explained by your instructor.
Q – What happens if I fail my driving test and do I need to continue lessons?
We would book you another test as soon as possible, however we would strongly recommend that you continue with lessons in order to not only keep up the practice but also to rectify what caused the fail.
Q – Is it true that examiners have set pass and fail rates?
No. If you drive to the required standard, you will pass your test. It does not matter what day/time you take your test. You will be tested fairly.
Q – Can my instructor come with me on my driving test?
Yes, the examiner will ask you before your test begins if you want your instructor to come with you. They cannot take part in the test and should you ask your instructor a question, they cannot reply. (Subject to COVID restrictions)
Q – I can’t find my licence. Do I need to have it for the test?
YES! It’s an absolute must-have. Without your provisional licence, you will not be able to sit either the Theory or Practical Test.
Q – Can you pick me up from somewhere other than my house?
Yes, that’s fine. As long as your instructor knows in advance and can still get to/from other pupils in time then this is not an issue.
Q – How do I pay for my lessons?
You must pay for all lessons, whether weekly or block bookings, along with both your Theory and Practical tests, prior to taking them. No lessons are given ‘in credit’. Payment should be made no later than the day prior to your lesson via Bank Transfer. Cash accepted only by prior arrangement with your instructor. No cards or Cheques accepted. Your Instructor will provide their Banking details to you on request.